Hoghton Tower is recruiting a small bank of Duty Managers to support our business operation including event and wedding activity.
The Duty Manager role is crucial to ensuring a smooth and efficient operation of various events, weddings and functions. Due to the nature of the role, the shifts are available on a casual basis generally at weekends, bank holidays and some evenings. Previous experience in a supervisory or junior management role is essential. We are looking for individuals who can demonstrate a professional demeanour, an organised and logical approach and the ability to make sound rational decisions as a responsible duty manager. You should also have proven experience in dealing with the general public, delivering great customer service, and be able to act calmly under pressure.
- Give direction and instruction relative to the event and provide, leadership and management of staff & volunteers on duty.
- Health and Safety monitoring at all times, take appropriate remedial action as required. To be responsible for the Health and Safety of all staff, volunteers and visitors and to be the main first aider while on duty.
- Fire marshalling as required, in line with procedures and regulations.
- Protection of the building, surrounding site in line with procedures.
- To supervise or undertake set up and take down of equipment according to the programme of activities.
- To provide induction and training to new staff as well as refresher training to existing staff members.
- To be responsible for the security of the building and equipment and to act as key holder whilst on duty. This will include opening and closing procedures for the site.
- To ensure compliance with all financial procedures as well as being responsible for the reconciliation of the day’s income.
- To monitor stock control levels in relevant areas and ensure replenishment where required.
- Adhere to all procedures and guidelines listed within the relevant Duty Manager instructions and Normal Operating Procedures.
- Liaison with clients, visitors, volunteers and suppliers.
- Ensure that the highest standard of customer service is delivered at all times.
- Effectively deal with customer complaints and queries and aim to reduce or eliminate the escalation of complaints. Be the first point of contact for any queries or issues that arise.
- To undertake regular checks on all facilities, services and equipment as well as housekeeping standards and take prompt action where remedial action is required.
- Liaison with suppliers and contractors in accordance with maintenance procedures and any planned/unplanned maintenance requirements.
- Able to use own initiative, lead and work as part of a team, maintaining friendly, positive and professional working relationships with colleagues.
- Provide consistently excellent customer service with a smile.
- Communicate effectively with line manager and team members.
- Follow job lists for each day and work in line with business procedures, ensuring operational efficiency.
- Take pride in the environment of this Grade 1 listed building and act in accordance with site specific rules and guidelines.
- Ensure work is executed to the correct standards in a timely manner.
- To be punctual for shift start times.
- To have highest standards of personal presentation and hygiene
- Appropriate standard of dress according to uniform standards.
Duty Managers are expected to work a range of shifts that will include evenings and weekends as well as work on Bank Holidays. They also have a responsibility to undertake regular training and development exercises as a commitment to their own professional development as well as the development of Hoghton Tower Preservation Trust.
As with all categories of staff, Duty Managers will act as Ambassadors for Hoghton Tower Preservation Trust.
This list is not an exhaustive list of duties but acts as a guide to the main objectives and responsibilities of the role holder. As well as this, the role holder will be expected to undertake additional duties as directed by their line manager.
Experience of supervising and leading a team.
Experience in being the responsible person in charge of a building and its visitors.
Customer Service skills and experience in dealing with the public.
Excellent communication and people skills
A friendly and confident demeanour
A sense of responsibility to the ethos of the organisation
A flexible approach to working.
Ability to articulate self clearly.
Efficient and reliable
Available to work weekends and evenings.
Although a driving licence is not essential for this role, it is recommended that you consider how you would travel to work if you don’t have access to a car. Please be aware the site is almost a mile from the main road up a steep hill and the shifts available are often outside of public transport provisions.
Terms and Conditions of Appointment
Job Type: Casual Hours Contract
Normal hours of work:
Your hours of work will be as determined by the weekly roster. This may include the need to work unsocial hours, weekends and bank/public holidays. You will be entitled to an unpaid break of 30 minutes each day should you work more than six hours. These normal hours of work may be varied to meet the needs of the business.
Salary: £9.50 per hour
There is no entitlement to holidays with a casual contract, however there is an uplift of 12.07% added to your hourly rate.
Probationary period: This post is subject to a probationary period of three months. There will be a staff review at 3 months and again at 6 months. This period can be extended.
Closing date for applications to Sunday 18th July 2021.