Open Wednesday – Sunday
Gardens & Tea Room 11:00 – 16:00 (Last Entry 3:30 Hot Food Served 11:00 -2:30)
Guided House Tour (1 hour) 11:00, 12:00, 1:00, 2:00, 3:00
Be entranced by the stories of a house and a family. The tours span over nearly 1000 years of history witnessed on this one, hill top site. From William the Conqueror through to modern times the Tower has witnessed the lives of the de Hoghton family and welcomed many famous visitors. It is said that some of these people still make their spectral presence felt on occasions around the house. Let our knowledgeable and friendly guides lead you through history at Hoghton Tower. Book your Guided House Tour here
Outdoor Tour (1 hour) 1:30 Wednesday, Thursday & Friday
Take an outdoor history tour and learn about the history of the site, house, gardens and the de Hoghton family. Led by one of our knowledgeable and friendly volunteer guides, this walking tour will span over 1000 years of history and will cover topics as diverse as architecture, railways, mysterious historic graffiti and archaeology! Whilst the tour will finish in the gardens, this is not a horticultural tour. The tour lasts one hour and is all outside. Comfortable walking shoes and all-weather clothing advisable. Book your Outdoor Tour here
King James I Visit Introduction including Underground Passages – COMING SOON
(30 minutes) £6 (£6.60 Gift Aid)
A short animated, digital introduction to the visit of King James I in 1617, this also includes a trip to see the underground passages with your guide.
As restrictions are lifted, we continue to put in place specific measures in view of the Covid-19 pandemic to keep our staff, volunteers and visitors safe. We appreciate your support in helping us to do so by respecting these measures.
Please do not visit us if you or anyone in your household / support bubble has any symptoms of Covid-19 or if you have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test & Trace.
If you are unable to attend your booked activity due to Covid-19, please contact us by email on email@example.com to transfer your booking to a new date.
We encourage you to check in at the venue to support NHS Test and Trace. The easiest way to do this is by using the NHS app to scan the QR Code on entry. If you do not have access to the app, we are happy to take you details manually. We will keep your personal data for 21 days for public health monitoring purposes only. This data will not be used for any other purpose.
Whilst on site:
- Please use the hand sanitizer provided on entry and regularly throughout your visit.
- Follow the instructions from your tour guide and other staff on site.
- Respect that some people may wish to continue to remain socially distant from others. Thank you for maintaining social distance from our staff and volunteers at all times.
- House tour capacity has increased slightly however, this is still restricted to allow people to remain socially distant.
- Face coverings are a condition of entry on a guided house tour unless you are exempt. These should cover your nose and mouth. If you are visiting our Tea Room, we encourage you to wear your face covering until you are seated and again on leaving your table. We also encourage you to wear a face covering when visiting the toilet facilities.
- Our Tea Room continues to operate with a reduced capacity, tables are spaced out to allow for social distancing. On arrival, please find a table before ordering and paying at the counter. Please be aware that others may wish to maintain social distance whilst queuing.
- Afternoon Teas must be pre-booked.
Other useful information
- A tour tickets allows you access to the tour purchased and to the gardens.
- There are no toilets along any of the tour routes.
- All tours involve using stairs some of which do not have handrails.
- Only assistance dogs permitted beyond the main gatehouse, this includes the Courtyards and Gardens as well as the House and Tea Room.
- If you have booked a tour and wish to visit the Tea Room, please be aware that hot food is served until 2:30 and last entry is at 3:30.
COVID-19 SECURE STATEMENT
The Hoghton Tower Preservation Trust is fully committed to safeguarding the health, safety and security of our staff, volunteers, visitors, partners, tenants and residents.
We are aware of and will comply with Public Health England (PHE), the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) Guidance.
As part of this:
- We have carried out a COVID-19 risk assessment and have shared the results with our workforce. For each event we run, we will carry out specific Covid 19 risk assessments.
- We have cleaning, handwashing and hygiene procedures in line with guidance
- We continue to encourage working from home as much as possible
- We take all possible steps to maintain the two metre social distance in our office and across all our activities as required
- Where people cannot be two metres apart for essential operational reasons, we will do everything possible to manage the transmission risk