Welcome to Hoghton Tower
2020 Season – update 25th October 2020
We continue to follow all changes in government guidance and law carefully as these evolve. Hoghton Tower is in Chorley (PR5) and therefore now falls into tier 3. We currently remain open as per our published open days.
We are open Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays unless otherwise stated.
You will be able to access both the house, courtyards, gardens and tilting greens once again with a range of options available to you. Please see more information about how to book for this and other events below.
The house is accessible via guided tours only. The tours are for a maximum of 6 people only, with social distancing in place. Please only book for your own household/bubble.
Alternatively, you can choose to book onto one of our new, outdoor history guided tours. During this tour you will learn about the history of the wider site, architectural and archaeological points of interest and the gardens.
For the gardens you can choose to book a 2 hour slot to enjoy the peace and tranquillity of the gardens at your leisure whilst maintaining appropriate self-distancing measures.
All tickets are available on our website and will be checked on arrival.
For Witches Kitchen and Underground Passage Halloween Tours, please go to our events page here.
Tickets for our house and outdoor history tours are on sale here. Please note that if you buy a house tour, access to the gardens is included!
Tickets for garden admission only are on sale here. For the half term, free Halloween trails included in children garden admission tickets!!
Afternoon Tea bookings can be made here. Please note the restriction of a max of 6 people per booking and these must all be from the same household or bubble.
Alongside the tours and the gardens, the tea room is also available with pre-booking and a takeaway snack bar is also be in operation. Last admission to the tea room is 3:30pm (15:30 hours)
All our activities are risk assessed and checked against all changes in regulations. We are a Covid 19 secure visitor attraction and venue and have put in all safety measures required to keep you, our volunteers and our employees safe. This includes tracking and tracing everyone who comes to site. This remains unchanged.
- House tours are limited to household groups only. Please only book for members of your own household or bubble. Face coverings are mandatory.
- We have put additional slots on and will always try to accommodate walk ups for tours depending on guide availability.
- Visitors will be required to track and trace on entry either using the QR code system or by our existing register.
- On arrival, we might ask you to wait for a short period (we anticipate no longer than 15 mins) to enable our guides to achieve the most appropriate tour arrangements. Please bear with us as we all adapt to the changing rules.
- Our tea room has reduced, socially distanced seating and take away service too. Face coverings will now be obligatory until you are seated and again on departure from the tea room. Please ensure that you only book afternoon teas for your household or social bubble. Please note that we can not allow walk-ups for groups from different households either.
Please rest assured that we are taking every precaution to ensure both the safety of you and of our staff. Please see our Covid-19 secure statement below. To keep you feeling safe, we are:
- Providing you with a warm welcome, from a distance!
- Installing signage around to assist movement and remind visitors of safety matters
- Patrolling our site to monitor safe visitor activity
- Deep cleaning each open area and enhancing our cleaning regime across the site
- Placing reminders about social distancing around the site
- Providing non-touch hand sanitizer stations around the site
- Providing our staff members with the appropriate PPE
- Installing screens where necessary
- Enabling pre-booking of all tours and slots
- Enabling contactless/card payments as much as is possible
In return, we need your support as follows:
- Please stick to the 2-metre social distancing guidance throughout your visit and follow all the notices on site
- Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds after using the facilities
- Make use of the hand sanitizer stations across the site
- Make use of your face covering whilst on a house tour- this is obligatory
- Please be kind to our staff members and volunteers
This is a new experience for us all. We will do our upmost to ensure you have the most enjoyable visit with us whilst maintaining everyone’s safety. We will be constantly reviewing arrangements and will be updating the information on our website accordingly.
We are able to respond to enquiries by email on email@example.com but our response times may still be slower than normal.
Staff and visitor safety is our main priority so please follow the safety measures that we have put in place.
Please follow social distancing guidelines and maintain a minimum distance of 2 metres from staff and other visitors and make sure to follow NHS guidance.
COVID-19 Secure Statement
The Hoghton Tower Preservation Trust is fully committed to safeguarding the health, safety and security of our staff, volunteers, visitors, partners, tenants and residents.
We are aware of and will comply with Public Health England (PHE), the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) Guidance.
We are preparing for opening and as part of this:
- We have carried out a COVID-19 risk assessment and have shared the results with our workforce. For each event we run, we will carry out specific Covid 19 risk assessments.
- We have cleaning, handwashing and hygiene procedures in line with guidance
- We continue to encourage working from home as much as possible
- We take all possible steps to maintain the two metre social distance in our office and across all our activities as required
- Where people cannot be two metres apart for essential operational reasons, we will do everything possible to manage the transmission risk
Please note that the Hoghton Tower Preservation Trust is one of many unfunded heritage organisations. We operate entirely without local authority or Arts Council funding and as such we rely on the ongoing support of our visitors and donors. Please consider making a donation to us via this link to enable us to continue our work to preserve this beautiful part of Lancashire’s heritage.
By attending our events you are supporting Hoghton Tower Preservation Trust in preserving the House for the future.
Please see our Events page for details of our events
Stay Connected with Hoghton Tower